- 2 cups non-dairy milk, such as coconut milk
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 cups vegan friendly white sugar (such as Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Cane Caster Sugar)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Jam (to sandwich the two cakes together)
- vegan butter-cream filling (optional - to place between the two cakes)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease and flour 2 x 8inch baking dishes.
- Stir the non-dairy milk and vinegar together in a large measuring cup.
- Sieve the flour and the other dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Mix the oil, water, lemon juice, vanilla extract and almond extract into the non-dairy milk mixture using a fork.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until lump-free. Don't add all of the wet ingredients, just enough to make a batter-like mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dishes.
- Bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick/chopstick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack. Once cool apply the jam (and vegan butter-cream filling) to the top of one of the cakes and place the other, upside down, on top.
Eat Plants Not Animals https://www.eatplantsnotanimals.com/