Spicy Chickpeas with Fresh Ginger
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas drained
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 4cm/1.5inch fresh root ginger finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5ml/1/4 tsp turmeric ground
- 450g/1lb tomatoes peeled seeded and chopped (you can also use canned chopped tomatoes)
- 30ml/2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 10ml/2 tsp garam masala
- salt and ground black pepper
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and fry over a low heat for 2-3 mins. Add the ginger, garlic and turmeric. Fry for a few more seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Just before the end of cooking, stir the chopped coriander and garam masala into the chick-pea mixture. Serve garnished with the coriander sprigs.
- You can also add tomato purée and ground coriander for a richer taste.
- Source: '500 Ways To Cook Vegetarian' by Valerie Ferguson
Eat Plants Not Animals https://www.eatplantsnotanimals.com/